Before moving to database types, let’s look at what is a database, the database is an organized way of managing information’s, which can be easily created by users, access and updated by users. The database has three types.
- Centralized database
- Decentralized database
- Distributed database
It’s contains complete information on a single database in a center location.
- Centralize database are easier to setup
- Easy to maintain
- Data integrity
- Easy to generate report for analysis.
- Bottlenecks can occur as a result of high traffic.
- Security issues.
- Hard to scale
- Single point of failure.
Data will not store into a single database, Data distributed into different databases and servers. which communicate between each others with the help of different protocols.
- High performance
- Easly scalable
- Distributed data processing
- Highly stable
- In case of one system malufunction,other systems are able to function
- Hard to setup
- High maintenance cost
- Difficult to maintain integrity
- Complex to design a database
- Reporting and analysis on decentralized database is costly
Data is distributed between more then one system which are interconnected with each other It’s represented as a peer-to-peer network. where every node/system has some and all of the data, where data is store in every node. Dedicate repositro is not required as a source of data. Air traffic control is a good examle of Distributed database where the trafic information is store every node. and each node has equal right in the network.
In a homogenous distributed database all databases are same. In heterogeneous distributed database system database are diffrent.
- Most eficiant type of database system in the point of securty and stablity
- High redundancy
- Comparatively high response rate
- Difficult to setup.
- Multiple point of failure, Difficult to maintain
- Complex setup and it is difficult to make sure that user gets uniform view of database.
- The distributed database is complicated and it is difficult to find people with the necessary experience who can manage and maintain it.